Every year in spring I am geared up with a paper box, scissors, 10 empty bottles and literally waiting for elderflowers to blossom. You must be quick, they will be gone soon and than you will have to wait another year. Its a tradition in our family to make elderflower cordial for the whole year.
Moreover to make elderflower cordial, its quick, easy and must be combined with a long walk to collect the flowers. Elderflowers are large white flowers that smell beautiful and sweet. Make sure you collect them on a dry hot day. They should be used straight after picking. Avoid busy roads.
The history of elderflower cordial can be traced back to Roman times. Nowadays it is very popular in Central Europe, especially in Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia and England. (wikipedia). The main reason why elderflowers are so popular are their antiviral properties. Traditionally, elderflowers were used for detoxification, asthma and allergy treatment.
I have been using 2 l bottle and made 1,5 l of elderflower cordial. Mutiply by 10 if you want to make 15 l of elderflower cordial for the whole year.
Feel free to download elderflower cordial label here – the same I used in this video.
Ingredients to make 1,5 l of Elderflower cordial
13 heads of elderflower
1000g caster sugar
1/2 unwaxed lemon
35 g citric acid
1 l boiled water which you cool before use
Heavenly Elderflower Cordial
- Ingredients to make 1,5 l of Elderflower cordial
- 13 heads of elderflower
- 1000 g caster sugar
- 1/2 unwaxed lemon
- 35 g citric acid
- 1 l boiled water which you cool before use
1) Pick the Elderflowers and set them outside for a while so that any tiny bugs hiding in the blossoms have a chance to make their escape
2) Next put the white flowers in a bowl with 3 slices of unwaxed (bio) lemon and pour 1 l of cool water which has been boiled
3) Let it infuse for 24 hours4. Strain your cordial through a piece of muslin and pour into a 2 l sterilized bottle.
4) Add the sugar and the citric acid.
Citric acid powder, also known as sour salt, is easy to find in many markets, It not only boosts the acidity of the cordial, but it also acts as a preservative.
5) Once the sugar is completely diluted, fill in sterilized bottles.