As a parent, you are expected to solve every possible problem. Predict, make scenarios and try to find solutions for situations that might not even come out. And one issue that we face every summer is mosquitos. In spite of applying various repellents, we can’t seem to avoid the itchy bites. Mosquito bites are annoying and everyone hates them but rarely are we prepared to solve them.
This natural bug bite cream contains all natural ingredients that work like a charm for red and itchy bug bites. It is a complex solution to fight bacteria, soothe and calm your skin and relieve the discomfort.
I may make a commission from links in this post. That means that if you make a purchase, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See more
We are at the phase of planning our holiday and it is a big thing for all our family members. We are a family with 2 teenagers and 1 almost there and each has their own ego and ideas about what they would love to see, explore, visit etc. And then there’s is me, mom, trying to make everybody happy and in case something goes wrong I am the first one to be blamed. Our bug bite cream kit comes in handy as it contains all natural ingredients that treat itchiness, inflammation, redness, and swelling caused by the bite. This cream for itchy bug bites is a thing that I carry with me everywhere. It found its place in my “box of rescue” next to the thread and needle, matches, patches, safety pins, etc.
Know your Ingredients for the best bug bite cream
Calendula infused oil – calendula is a powerful healing herb that is ideal for healing wounds, scars, burns, and bruises  Moreover, it’s anti-inflammatory properties are suitable for the treatment of bites in case of any redness or infections. Calendula is also soothing, moisturizing and rejuvenating the skin and therefore help to heal the bites faster.
Lemongrass essential oil can prevent the spread of any insect disease. healing properties of lemongrass are well known and used mainly for its antiseptic effect on the skin. Lemongrass is a very good cleanser and a sterilizer that can make your skin stronger and healthier. Its anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce the pain and itchiness which is usually caused by insect bites. 
Tea tree oil – is very powerful in healing cuts, burns, and infections. It is also very strong in fighting bacteria topically 
Chamomile essential oil – Chamomile possesses calming and soothing properties that can help with possible allergic reactions caused by insect bites or stings. It also helps with pruritus and burning which are very common reactions associated with bites. 
Lavender essential oil – among the calming and relaxing effect on the whole body, lavender also acts as an antibacterial and antifungal and is very effective in the treatment of burns and insect bites. 
Other natural solution to treat itchy bug bites
as you can see each ingredient we used for our balm is effective on its own. So if you don’t want to prepare our balm or you don’t have all the ingredients, use only one.
- instead of chamomile oil, use cooled chamomile tea bags. Cold tea bags reduce swelling and calm the itchiness.
- in the case of nasty bug bites put tea tree oil that has powerful healing properties and helps fight potential infection.
- calendula oil is ideal for healing burns and insect bites so don’t hesitate to use it on its own.
- According to the American Academy of Dermatology, ice pack application helps with itchiness and reduces for the swelling of painful bites, such as a bee sting.  Whether you use purchased ice cushions or freeze the chamomile ice tea into ice cubes both will provide relief and reduce pruritus.
- On the other hand, Lifehacker suggests using a heated metal spoon that you press against the bite. When mosquitos bite, they inject protein under our skin to prevent blood from clotting. The protein is, in fact, the substance that causes this itchiness, luckily it has a hard time surviving in high temperatures. If you hold a hot coffee spoon tight against the bite for a couple of minutes, the itch should disappear.  Test the hot spoon on yourself, before you apply it on your child.
- If you happen to have aloe vera plants you might want to use its gel on the bug bite. Aloe vera belongs to one of the most nutritious plants that help relieve pain and heal burns and bruises.
- cucumber can help reduce swelling
So what is your solution for itchy bug bites?